Tuesday, April 7, 2009

All Mixed Up

Yesterday, Taylor and I exercised earlier than normal due to a noon-o-clock rehearsal. At 10 am, I took him through 800m intervals at his goal pace for the PRT next week. 10:08 for 1.5 miles, so roughly 3:23.3 per half mile.
After almost a mile warm up, we ran 3 800's with 1:30 jog in between. He did great! The first interval was a bit fast, 3:13. The next, and bit slow: 3:25. The last, solid: 3:22. He was getting tired, but felt like he could do one more. Perfect! Another almost mile cool down, then PT. I felt good in the run...nice cool down from the race on Saturday. Thanks for the encouragement and positive comments regarding my previous post. I sometimes forget why I run.

For PT, we were going to start the push up overload workout but decided to wait until after Taylor takes the test. So we did the 11 mixed up push ups with an equal number of Atomic Sit ups.
Felt pretty good. The one arms are actually beginning to look like real push ups!
After a moment of rest, we did a descending pyramid of pull ups, 15, 10, 5. Felt okay.

Totals:
Run ~3 miles
Push ups: 110
Sit ups: 110
Pull ups: 30

******

In response to an inquiry about modified pull ups, I'll explain:
Usually, beginners/females initially lack the upper body strength to do a proper pull up. To encourage improvement and similar workload, the modified pull up makes it possible to work the same muscles in a slightly different fashion.

The Modified Pull Up:
Using a short pull up bar, or a single dip bar, place hands in a regular grip position (palms away), and walk you feet forward until your body is at an angle, resting on your heels, but letting your arms support most of your weight. Straighten arms to lower body, then pull up until chin touches or passes slightly above bar. Lower. Repeat.

2 comments:

Ben said...

You feel set of PFT?
What are your goal times for 1.5 mile?

Abby said...

Oh, okay. Modified pullup. I do them with my feet resting on a chair beneath me, maybe I should put the chair forward at an angle.