Sunday, May 3, 2009

Long Break

It's been a long while since I've posted. Mostly because I've been busy, and too lazy to jot down my mileage or workout stuff. My right knee is still bugging me, so I haven't ran for two weeks. It has shifted from my ITB to the proximal attachment of my right gastroc.

I just finished a week of leave before our deployment in a month. It was awesome! Charles and I went to the Big Island of Hawaii for a few days. Did some volcano stuff, black sand beaches, refuge camp, the southern most point in the US, horseback ride through a spectacular valley, snorkeled off the Kona coast, watched dolphins and sea turtles from a boat, and drove up to the best observatory location in the world, Muana Kea.

Today, a large group of people from the Navy Band and a couple civilians went skydiving. It was incredible! The most intense rush of my life! I'm addicted.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Heck yes!

Abby said...

Okay... today's lesson for me: "proximal attachment of my right gastroc"

Sounds like you took definite advantage of Charles' visit. As for skydiving, you can have it! I panic on the chair lift!

Ben said...

I looked into getting tickets to Hawaii, and because I'm a panzy the tickets were not purchased. If I truly grabbed life by the gonads I would fly there to hang with two of the coolest dudes on the planet. And believe me, I've met every dude on the planet and you are two of the coolest.

Unknown said...

Thanks ya'll! Ben, you're one of the coolest too. And I've met some from other planets.

Abby, proximal vs. distal means: "closer to the body (meaning torso), vs. farther from the body" respectively. Thus, the knee is proximal to the ankle, but distal to the hip.

Gastroc is short for gastrocnemius, the superficial calf muscle...the big one you see on Lance Armstrong.

So, the upper portion of my right calf hurts where it attaches to my knee.