Saturday, April 4, 2009

Ford Island

10K race today. We started on the Ford Island bridge, ran around the island, crossed the bridge again, then finished on a soccer field just outside the gate. It was a cool course because the bridge is hilly, the island is flat, and I got to see more of it that I do on gigs.

That said, it sucked. I felt horrible! The lack of running has finally caught up. I'm not even close to the racing shape I'd like to be in, and I'm making novice mistakes. For example, the first mile, I was running with a group of Navy guys, until I realized they were the ones who dominated the Aloha Run. 43:00 and change compared to my 52:00. With that realization, I knew I couldn't keep up, so I slowed down. But it was too late, I'd already ran the first mile WAY too fast. The rest of the race, I was just trying to maintain an even stride so I wouldn't die.

I sound like little kid, but there was a strong headwind, which helped cool me off (it was hot), and slowed me down at the same time. You win some, you lose some. Enough complaining.

The last mile, I finally started feeling smooth. I love rolling hills because it gives me a reason to focus and push rather than just cruising on flats. Remember the country hills in Lincoln just past 84th and Leighton? I'd always do tempos and LT's faster there than on Murdock. Hills man. Good stuff. Plus, I had to be strong for this other Navy guy who was fading. As I passed him, I told him to keep up and finish with me, so he jumped right on my heels and stayed there. People helping people.

So, although I may be a whiny bitch today, I'll train harder and rock the next one.

5:47, 5:58, 6:33, 6:41, 6:45, 6:50, :55
39:27

******

We went hiking this afternoon. Dragon's Nostril. We all got wet. It was awesome.

2 comments:

Ben said...

Those first two miles were bookin'. You are indeed a fast man. Too bad it sucked, but at least you know what to prepare for next time.

Way to hang in there and not give up even though it was hot and shitty.

Abby said...

Those are fast times - those first two miles - for a whiny bitch. You finished strong and motivated that other guy despite the pain and weather. Good race, I'd say.