Monday, March 30, 2009

Dizzy

Today Taylor and Karl joined me at lunch, and Meredith tagged along again. Bryan, in addition to recovering from ITBS is undergoing physical therapy for his right shoulder. A few months ago he re-injured an old injury, and like any regular guy, kept exercising and surfing with it. He has taken the last two weeks off and should be able to join again next week.

Today's beat down added dips to the pyramid. Thus, each set consists of a certain number of pull ups, double push ups, triple sit ups, and the dips equaled push ups.
This sucked. I'm still working at getting comfortable again with the regular pyramid, even without the extra set of 10 at the top. Adding dips made this even more hurtful. But we pushed through.

Karl is getting better at pull ups! He started doing regular ones, which used to be impossible a month ago, and switched to modified on about set 6 going up. Meredith did modified pull ups (I explained to her that it's a better workout than just bouncing off the ground for each rep), as well as modified dips. I was proud of her effort again, but this second expedition proved too overwhelming again as she started cutting back reps at my advice, and tapped out at the top. Good showing though! As I mentioned before, she used to fake illness to get out of PT, and is now willing to at least try my workouts.

Taylor is a beast at dips. He pushed through more than I, until he got nauseous and almost puked. I suppose it might be a mental competition. Since I've done this longer, I suppose I can tell when my body is simply complaining, or if it's on the verge of breakdown. When my triceps and the attachment point of my traps at the base of the skull were REALLY screaming on the top set, I dropped off, shook them out, then did the last two. Taylor kicked ass and pushed all the way through. On rung 9 coming down, he took a time out. No worries. Better to take a break than kill yourself. He jumped back in at 6 and was careful coming back down.

Similar story for Karl. He got dizzy, took a break, got some water, and jumped in at 5.

Similar story for me. I could feel a headache/dizziness coming on after the top. So I just took longer breaks and payed closer attention to how each rep felt.

MVPs for all!

Totals:
100 Pull ups
200 Push ups
300 Sit ups
200 Dips

******

Everyone was too tired to run, so I trust them to do it on their own tonight.
Bryan came over after work and did some pool running with me again. We did a 10 minute warm up, then 3 on, 2 off, twice. Then a cool down and some underwater stuff.

4 comments:

Ben said...

Nice. Seems like this was an effective workout. Testing the threshold.

I've started using the line, "pain is weakness leaving the body," with the long distance crew. They seems to like it.

Continue pushing the earth down, not pushing yourself up.

Anton said...

Awesome! I've been telling them that too, giving you credit. You're a legend in Hawaii.

I forgot that principle. I will push the earth down tomorrow.

Abby said...

This does sound hurtful. What are modified pullups?

Unknown said...

A lot of dips that is. A lot.